Uncover how a block retaining wall system can eliminate soil erosion and level out the ground to add value to your home or business while offering gorgeous landscapes and increase your useful space.
Some very common reasons people consider building a retaining wall are:
- A sloped yard threatening downhill erosion
- Potential foundation damage to the home
- Gardening and landscaping maintenance difficulties due to the sloped property
- Create additional usable space on inclines by using a retaining wall
5 CRITICAL FACTORS TO CONSIDER WHILE BUILDING RETAINER WALLS
When constructing retainer walls, there are few important factors to consider that will ensure the longevity and functionality of your retaining walls. These include:
- Determining the core purpose of the wall – structural, decorative, or both
- Selecting the correct materials for the wall and the condition it is being used in
- Making sure that the positioning is correct – it is problematic and costly to move retaining walls
- Ensuring a proper water drainage system is in place behind the wall to minimize pressure on the wall
- Choosing the right foundations for ensure steadiness
2 OF THE MOST COMMON TYPES OF RETAINING WALLS
- Functional retaining walls are constructed for structural purposes with aesthetics taking a back seat. For example, to create additional space in a path or driveway, to make different ground levels in the garden, or to keep a slope.
- Decorative retaining walls are more casual than structural retaining walls and are used to add or uplift the aesthetics of the landscape. Decorative retaining walls are frequently being used as seats, fence base or to bring particular garden views into focus.
MOST COMMONLY USED MATERIALS FOR BUILDING RETAINING WALLS
- Block retaining walls: Highly functional as they can be utilized for both decorative and structural purposes. They can hold large amounts of dirt, are cheaper to maintain and last for a lifetime.
- Timber retaining walls: Of course, timber does not survive for as long blocks do, but it still usually has a lifespan of around 10 to 15 years. It is highly advisable to use timber that is appropriate for soil contact and a minimum of H4 rating.
- Concrete retaining walls: Commonly used for leveling out the front or back yard to have additional useable land. Concrete retaining walls provide a long lasting solution required for a structure that is in contact with the soil and constantly exposed to moistening and drying.
DIY RETAINING WALL SYSTEM
If you are in search of a reasonably priced retaining wall, then a DIY (Do-It-Yourself) retaining wall is what you need. DIY retaining wall blocks are very easy to install. If you can dig a hole, you can erect the wall the way you want it.
With the DIY systems, you make the final call for the look of the wall. Why would you want to pay someone for something you can do-it-yourself?
Wholesale Sleeper Co. offers DIY retaining wall systems ideal for both novice and experienced DIY ‘ers in Canberra.
We offer a wide range of retaining walls in Canberra and they come in variety of colours so our customers can always get the one that suits their home and needs.
Contact us today on (02) 6299 5886 to discuss your retaining wall project and we will offer expert advice suiting your specifications and budget.